Saturday, August 29, 2009

Red Wine Spaghetti


This is not your typical red wine spaghetti. This is spaghetti boiled in red wine. Why didn't I think of this before? I found this recipe in the September 2009 issue of Food & Wine Magazine.

There is an article titled "
When a Mediocre Wine is Good News" with a handful of recipes on what do to do with wine you just won't drink (I know, I know, but it happens!).

You must admit, more than once, you've probably experimented with a new wine only to find out that it just isn't your style. Perhaps, you've been given a bottle as a gift, but it's just not something you'd normally drink. Or, like me, your wine store had an entire bin of $3 clearance wines. The wine enhances the flavor of the spaghetti in this recipe, giving it a very rustic and delightful "wine-soaked" taste.

A very rich aroma flows into your kitchen when making this meal, I guarantee your friends and family will be drooling. Just look at the color of the pasta when all is said and done, it's beautiful! All of the ingredients pulled together look stunning on a white plate, and with the addition of the walnuts and fresh parsley to the whole wheat spaghetti - this dish is full of healthful antioxidants.

I used a bit more crushed red pepper than is listed here (about a 1/2 teaspoon), I like a little heat in my dishes. For the wine, I selected a simple Merlot, but any dry red wine will work. I also substituted whole-wheat spaghetti for regular spaghetti.

Here is the recipe:
  • 5 cups water
  • 3 1/4 cups dry red wine
  • Salt
  • 3/4 pound spaghetti
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4 small garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
  • 1 cup walnuts (4 ounces), coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
  • Freshly ground black pepper
In a saucepan, combine the water with 3 cups of the wine and a large pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook, stirring, until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.

In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the garlic and red pepper and season with salt. Cook over moderate heat for 1 minute. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of wine and the reserved cooking liquid and bring to a simmer. Stir in the pasta and cook until the liquid is nearly absorbed, 2 minutes.

Add the parsley, nuts, the 1/2 cup of cheese and the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and toss. Season the pasta with salt and pepper and serve, passing grated cheese at the table.


Fondly,
Optimistic

4 comments:

  1. Found you on Tastespotting...and I'm thinking that some of those cheap Trader Joes wines just might really improve some of this horrible gluten-free pasta I recently bought. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally stole this idea from you and posted my own! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of those Trader Joe wines would be PERFECT for this recipe, enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fabulous and I just happen to have plenty of Merlot at home! Yum~

    ReplyDelete