Thursday, August 6, 2009

The End of An Era


Grandma - "Oh Sam, let me take a look at you."

Grandma - "Fred, she's gotten her boobies."

Grandpa - "I better get my magnifying glass. Ha Ha Ha."

Grandma - "Oh, and they are so PERKY."

~

Sadly, John Hughes has passed away. My childhood was spent watching his iconic films. They were essential cinematic representations of what it was like to be a teen in the 80's. The 80's wouldn't be as bitchin' as they were without John Hughes. Where would we be without The Griswolds? Ferris? The Brain, The Athlete, The Basket Case, The Princess, and The Criminal?

I live in the northern suburbs of Chicago, and Hughes has certainly left his mark here. He grew up outside of Chicago and set many of his movies in the city's northern suburbs. Memories and filming locations from Home Alone, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Christmas Vacation, The Breakfast Club, Curly Sue, Planes Trains and Automobiles, She's Having a Baby, Sixteen Candles, Uncle Buck, Weird Science and Risky Business are all within minutes of my home. His films will always be a permanent part of my history. Growing up, I wanted to be Molly Ringwald. But who didn't?

I encourage you to honor Mr. Hughes. Go dig up your Sixteen Candles VHS (watching an 80's movie on DVD just isn't the same), drag your dusty video player out of the basement, and laugh in his memory. His films will always be timeless classics.

Fondly,
Optimistic

No comments:

Post a Comment