Saturday, August 15, 2009

Ice Cream Grahamwiches


I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! I was flipping through Gourmet Magazine this weekend, and fell in love with an ice cream sandwich recipe. I had planned a relaxing weekend for myself - reading, lounging on the beach, and no heavy cooking. So instead of creating the Gourmet ice cream sandwiches exactly as their recipe entailed, I decided to make my own version, with a few shortcuts. Because gosh darn it, it's 90 degrees and I wanted ice cream sandwiches - without the effort!


Recipe (makes about a dozen):
1 pack Honey Graham Crackers
2 cups Blueberries
1/4 cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
2 tsp Cornstarch

Transfer ice cream to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 10-second intervals until softened. Spread ice cream thinly in a 9x9-inch baking dish and freeze until firm while making blueberry compote.

Cook blueberries, sugar, and zest in a saucepan over medium-high heat, thoroughly crushing blueberries with a pastry blender or potato masher, until juices are released. Stir in lemon juice and cornstarch and bring blueberry mixture to a boil, stirring, for 1 minute. Mixture will thicken. Transfer to a bowl and chill in refrigerator for about an hour.

When blueberry compote has chilled, spread over frozen ice cream and freeze until firm, at least 2 hours. When ice cream mixture is firm, cut into squares the size of a half of a graham cracker. Place the ice cream square between two halves of graham crackers, and enjoy! Napkins will be required, this is a gooey, oozy and crumbly dessert - but definitely worth it! Individually wrap and freeze remaining sandwiches for another steamy summer afternoon.

Fondly,
Optimistic



7 comments:

  1. Brilliant! This looks amazing! I am making it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so pretty! I LOVE ice cream sadwhiches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm yummy looks very delicious :)
    i wanna eat my screen :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the picture of these as well in Gourmet! Funny thing - I just posted 2 recipes on my blog as well out of the issue and also took shortcuts! Sometimes you just gotta relax!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ice cream sandwiches look delicious! I'd like to try making them tonight to enjoy tomorrow (as a cold treat in this hot LA weather). You mentioned lemon juice in the instructions but did not list it in the ingredients. How much lemon juice is needed? Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for pointing that out! 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice for the Blueberry Compote, I hope these are the perfect solution to your hot LA days!

    ReplyDelete