Thursday, August 6, 2009

(500) Days of Summer




I loved, loved, loved this film. It's one of the most original romantic comedies I've seen in a while. I hate to even call it a romantic comedy, because it's far from the typical cliche.



It reminds me of a modern day When Harry Met Sally, with a visual style similar to Juno. Even the lighting is impressive; the creativity poured into this film is endless. It's unpredictable, and the humor is sometimes unexpected (you will laugh out loud). It's perfectly cast and very witty.

The film opens with a narrative, and bounces through the 500 days of their relationship, in no particular order. Tom Hansen (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), a greeting card writer, falls for Summer Finn (Zooey Deschanel). Tom believes he's met the woman of his dreams. Here's the kicker - Summer is a non-believer in love; in her mind, love only happens in fairy tales. She's young, carefree, and isn't looking for anything serious.

Tom is determined to change her attitude on love, until one day Summer breaks up with him. With the help of his too-funny-for-words sidekicks (and his prepubescent sister), he spends the rest of the film trying to figure out what went wrong.


The acting is superb. I'm a sucker for believable acting, it's what makes or breaks a film. If you can't distinguish between a character and the actor, you know that's talent. I don't remember the last time I saw Joseph Gordon-Levitt (3rd Rock from the Sun, anyone?) but he really threw himself back into the acting world with flying colors. Zooey Deschanel shines in the film. She is spot on as Summer, and I couldn't imagine anyone else in the role. I love her 60's hair, feminine style and sing-song voice.

SIDE NOTE: Anytime I see a film with Zooey in the cast, I always leave the theater wanting to be her (every guy wants to date her, ever gal wants to be her). This usually means purchasing a cute headband, a high-waisted skirt and a pretty blouse. Then running home and cutting myself some bangs.

Now back to the film review...


Tom - "Did you ever have a boyfriend?"

Summer - "Of course."

Tom - "What happened, why didn't they work out?"

Summer - "What always happens? Life."


The thing I love best about this film is that it is realistic. Everyone can relate to their situation in one way or another. It's not a love story, it's a story about love. Don't expect a "happily ever after" at the end. This film is emotional, hilarious, and visually stunning. It will affect you; I promise you that you will leave the theater moved by it. Although parts of it were sad, you're left feeling hopeful. It has become my favorite film of 2009. I wouldn't be surprised if it's showered in awards.

Be sure to check out the soundtrack. It's a great mix!


Fondly,
Optimistic



Photo Credits: Fox Searchlight

No comments:

Post a Comment