Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Oh, For Heaven's Sake!


And my family wonders why I don't like to fly? Psssh!

I normally have to rock myself back and forth in the fetal position anytime I get on a plane. I just get so anxious. It's a control thing. If something happened, what in the world would I be able to do about it? That's right, nothing. I don't like that feeling. Although, when things go wrong mid-flight, the highly trained pilots of the friendly skies are perfectly capable to guide everyone back to down to earth safely. And I do trust them (especially the cute ones), but I'm still very pleased I was not on this particular flight...even though this is my favorite airline! I probably would have passed out.

Yesterday, on a flight from Nashville to Baltimore, a foot-long hole opened in the top of the Southwest Boeing 737 aircraft. The plane lost cabin pressure, and although no one was injured, all passengers were instructed to put on their oxygen masks that dropped down from the ceiling. The flight ended early with an emergency landing. Southwest inspected all 181 of its identical Boeing 737 jets before putting them back into the sky. One of the passengers described the situation as "the loudest roar I'd ever heard."

These things happen though, and I will continue to board planes as a mode of transportation (mostly because my family forces me to). Even if that means I'll be drenched in my own perspiration. Hopefully, you won't have to be the lucky person who sits next to me. But if you are, I'm sure we'll be great friends (just as long as I can have your barf bag!).

Fondly,
Optimistic

1 comment:

  1. I don't usually fear flying, but it seems like a lot of things are going awry all of a sudden. With just a few weeks before my second transatlantic flight I'd be lying if I said I wasn't crossing my fingers!

    So fun to be following on here, I've got a new blog too for my upcoming trip, be sure to check it out!

    ReplyDelete